Sunday, September 9, 2007

Liar liar! Capitalizing on the Curse: The Business of Menstruation

Menstrual products are enormous women's health care market. Worldwide, it is a $9-billion-a-year business. The commercialization of menstruation has in many ways been positive: women embrace readily available, reasonably priced, and easy- to-use products with good reason. But it has also been among the worst things to happen to women.

This is the normal answers I received from the doctors every time I see them after an unbearable period pain, "Well, yes, some women get bad cramps. Just take two aspirin and that should make them go away." When I told them that aspirin didn't work, they just said things like, "Well, then, try a heating pad and a different type of pain reliever." They didn't really listen to me. All of their answers boiled down to, "Oh, most women get some little cramps, but they aren't anything to fuss about. Quit your whining and deal with it." But I knew that something that was making me black out weren't just some "little cramps." What happened to me every month for two weeks straight couldn't be normal. I’m sure many women out there have a similar experience.

Then I stumbled on an article while researching information about my husband’s condition on cancer in the internet. Something that has completely changed my life!

"My bill would direct the National Institutes of Health to conduct research to determine the extent to which the presence of dioxin, synthetic fibers, and other additives in tampons and related menstruation products pose any health risks to women. An NIH study would mean that American women could depend on independent research, and not on the word of research funded by tampon manufacturers." - Excerpt from a statement by Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney, Democratic representative of New York, upon introduction of "The Tampon Safety and Research Act of 1997," (H.R. 2900), November 11, 1997.

I felt used and manipulated!

To those who capitalize on our pain, this is the beginning of awakening for those who deceives. The consequences of destructive behaviors eventually will come back to haunt you. It is then that you both covers lies with more lies and digs a deeper hole in which you live in isolation or you recognizes your pain as being self-inflicted and chooses to change.

Must-read: Chlorine-bleached menstrual products - Risks relating to cervical cancer, endometriosis, infertility, ovarian cancer, breast cancer, immune system deficiencies, pelvic inflammatory disease, and toxic shock syndrome.

No comments: